Crawfordville
Population (2016)
4,853
Area (Square miles)
4.57
Year founded
Abt 1866
Year incorporated
N / A
When Wakulla County, Florida, was established in 1843 the town of Port Leon was designated as the county seat. That same year the town was destroyed by a hurricane and the residents moved to Newport which was designated as the temporary county seat until a permanent location could be found. After much debate, the county seat was finally moved to to its current location in 1866 and named Crawfordville after State Senator John L. Crawford.

The original courthouse in Crawfordville was destroyed by a fire in 1892 and a new courthouse was completed in 1894. The three story wooden structure was moved 500 feet in 1948 to allow construction of a more modern courthouse on the original site. The 1894 building still exists and was added to the United States National Register of Historic Places in 1976. It is one of only three original wooden courthouses remaining in Florida.

As the county seat, Crawfordville is the largest town in Wakulla County and the main hub for government and business in the county. Still, by almost any standard it is a small town, and retains its small town charm and ambience.

Across from the Old Courthouse is the Old County Jail which houses a museum with historic exhibits, a genealogy area, and a gift shop.

Crawfordville is home to Hickory Park, Azalea Park, and Hudson Park, all clustered close to each other south of the town center. They offer a playground, tennis courts, picnic areas, and short hiking trails. Hudson Park is the site for many county festivals and celebrations during the year.
Getting there ...
Additional resources